I turned twenty-six years old a few weeks ago. I have much to be thankful for! Here are a few things my twenty-six-year-old self is into these days:
- My favorite celebrity, Erin Oprea. She is a #girlboss at her finest and has inspired me to LIVE healthier. Examples: staying active, celebrating a healthy lifestyle, enjoying treats in moderation, taking beet juice shots (!), the occasional tabata (how do you pronounce it though?!) and being realistic in regards to health. Put forth good efforts and don’t beat yourself up for taking a break or having a treat.
- Fayetteville, North Carolina! I visited my friend Victoria and her baby daughter for a quick trip. I. LOVED. OUR. TIME. TOGETHER. And, green grass was cool to see as well.
- I’m still Maren Morris’s #1 fan. I love her in that new hit song The Middle; and she recently released Rich as a single (IT. IS. A. JAM!) and she’s marrying Ryan Hurd really soon (#GettinMurd, and no I did not make up that hashtag). You go girl, stay beautiful, don’t change, etc.
- The Psalms (from the Bible). I’ve been reading a Psalm a day and WOW. There is some really good stuff in the Psalms. The Psalms allow me to reflect on the character of God; he is unchanging in character and his love is unfailing. Also, Psalm 33:6 says, “The Lord merely spoke, and the heavens were created. He breathed the word, and all the stars were born.” (Listen to a related song, So Will I, as recorded to Tori Kelly. SO GOOD on SO MANY LEVELS.)
I’m turning 26 in a few short weeks. I don’t feel old but this is one of those dud birthdays where the only thing that changes with age is that I can no longer be on my parents’ insurance. Well, it was nice while it lasted. 🙂
Mom asked me for a birthday list, so here we go:
I would like a backpack. I like this Frye one and I’m loving this Herschel one.
I do have my eye on these dusty rose boots.
On my mature/responsible side, I’d like a new crock pot (any) or a French Press (any but here’s one I like from Target.)
I would also love new clothes or tickets to any fun experiences! Anything you think I would like, I will!
Even though it’s technically still spring, summer music is undoubtedly here.
Some of my favorites:
- Body Like A Back Road (Sam Hunt) Talk about one of those instant feel-good jams. Goin 15 in a 30, I ain’t in no hurry, Imma take it slow just as fast as I can.
- Craving You (Thomas Rhett & Maren Morris) Two of the top most popular country artists collaborating. What a beautiful thing!
- Happy People (Little Big Town) This song has the best vibe and super solid lyrics too. Personal favorite line…Happy people don’t fail; happy people just learn.
- The Fighter (Keith Urban & Carrie Underwood) Am I the only one who has a significant urge to kick-box when I hear this song? I’m still thinking about a full out routine to go with the song…
- For Her (Chris Lane) Maybe the most adorable song ever-check it out.
- Greatest Love Story (LANCO) This song is the first LANCO song I ever did hear and let me tell you they just might become a favorite of mine. If you have not yet heard this song, check. it. out.
- No Such Thing As A Broken Heart (Old Dominion) Another extremely catchy song with excellent lyrics.
- Round Here Buzz (Eric Church) This is a JAM! I have heard really great things about Eric’s Holding My Own tour and I just just imagine him singing this one live.
- You Broke Up With Me (Walker Hayes) One of my gym buddies caught me jammmmmmming to this tune last week in my car…I had no idea he was driving in the lane next to me… The tune/lyric combination is on point. Do yourself a favor and listen to this one.
I am trying to get better at resting. Life is all about balance, right? My goal is to value rest and to balance hustling and resting.
Thankfully, I was able to go to Florida with my mom and auntie. Rollin’ with those two is definitely a restful and very pleasant experience.
Florida was definitely rest-heavy after a season of major hustling. I am feeling SO much better after this restful trip!
It’s March already? It’s March already! I almost never say this, but this winter has gone by so quickly! (Maybe this is the first time I’ve ever said that. I have the 70 degree February day to thank.)
Life has been busy. I’ve spent a lot of time at work, the gym, and with my family and friends. This is what 2017 has been like so far:
Turns out early morning workouts are theeeeee best, especially on Mondays and when you want to take mirror gym selfies. I normally work out after work but it’s super refreshing to avoid the after work rush sometimes.
I joined an eight-week fitness challenge that will end next week. I. LOVED. IT! I only lost a few pounds, but my goal was to learn new ways to exercise and eat healthy and both of those goals were accomplished so I’m happy about it. I’ve had to track all my food (#OverIt), so I’m excited for that to be over soon. I hope to share more about the program’s diet.
Right before this picture we went to a craft fair and ate tacos. That, my friends, is the good life.
My friend Victoria visited me in January, and I visited her in February! She’s one of my best friends from college, and I’ve only seen her a total of four times after college.
I got to visit with my friend Allison one more time before her baby comes! I’m so thankful for the ease of conversation, hilarious memories and for the way she listens and cares so well.
This squad was established in the ’90s. #SJpartyof4
I am humbled and blessed by many of my friends, old and new. I’m excited for more good times with the people I love.
I just read my “Self-Interview” from February 2014. I have changed since then! Also regarding my post from 2014, I don’t recall Renee* from Juan Pablo’s season of The Bachelor but I was (apparently) a fan of her at the time.
Now that we have made it to Holiday Season 2016, here’s my life in bullet-point summary:
- Listening To
The Weight of these Wings (Miranda Lambert’s new double-album). Maren Morris. MKE Worship! Florida-Georgia Line. A lot of the top 40 songs right now. I’m getting REAL close to busting out Christmas music (I’m thinking about you, Pentatonix and A Very Kacey Christmas!)
Lost, with my roommates. The Voice! Baby Daddy. Young & Hungry. I was watching Pretty Little Liars but that show was stressing me out so I have to pace myself on that one.
I just finished See Me (by Nicholas Sparks- my first Nicholas Sparks book ever- can you believe it). Now I’m reading Why Not Me by Mindy Kaling and it’s cracking me up! I’m also slowly reading The Next Christians, one chapter at a time, and I love it.
Starbucks. My current living situation. Black G-2 gel pens. Dry shampoo.
Narrow bootie-shoes, since I cannot wear them (because, bunions. Ugh). Hate-posts on social media. Reptiles.
- Crushing On
Theo James. Halo Top ice cream. Bright orange-red nail polish.
Find a new pair of glasses. Volunteer somewhere. Eat more protein, and less carbs, at night. Be nicer despite hangry-ness/tiredness.
Wedding planning. My friends. Being warm.
The arrival of my new nephew or niece! The holidays. An upcoming Maren Morris concert. (!!!!!!!)
Here is a picture of me in my “Katniss Pants” and with the shoes that give me awful blisters if I wear them too long/walk too far wearing them. I’m also wearing an excessive amount of dry shampoo. THIS IS REAL LIFE, PEOPLE.
I hope you feel sufficiently caught up on my life! What are YOU up to? I’d love to know in the comments.
*I just googled Renee from Juan Pablo’s season of the Bachelor. She was the one who looked like Jennifer Aniston. She WAS awesome!
Friends and family, we have finally made it to November 2016. What a fun-filled-action packed month this is shaping up to be, including the World Series, the presidential election, the CMAs and with Starbucks distributing first green and then red cups!
I am going back to the basics with two health tips this month. I’m continuing with these ideas from the Popsugar article. I’m trying to be realistic when I choose the tips to make sure they’re do-able. (As opposed to 95% of the ideas on Pinterest of all the fancy and heavily detailed recipes, workout routines, crafts, events, etc.)
Tip 1: drink lemon water. The article says to begin your day with lemon water, but I would recommend drinking lemon water any time of the day. When I had a cold this summer, I found lemon water to be unbelievably refreshing. Lemon obviously also adds flavor to water, so adding lemon helps reach your daily water-drinking goals.
Tip 2: make your own salad dressing. I try really hard to keep my meal prep as simple and healthy as possible. Healthy and simple do not always go together and salad dressing is a great example of this! Friends, beware because there are some straight-up bad for you salad dressings and using them will (in my opinion) completely contradict your salad eating efforts. I am aware that there are some truly healthy dressings in grocery stores. However, if you want to be super healthy and keep things simple, you have another option! Use a little olive oil with apple cider vinegar as your dressing and you won’t be disappointed. Another bonus of this clever option is that you just might already have both ingredients in your pantry!
I challenge you to try one or both of these ideas this month!