I am trying to get better at resting. Life is all about balance, right? My goal is to value rest and to balance hustling and resting.
Thankfully, I was able to go to Florida with my mom and auntie. Rollin’ with those two is definitely a restful and very pleasant experience.
Florida was definitely rest-heavy after a season of major hustling. I am feeling SO much better after this restful trip!
It’s March already? It’s March already! I almost never say this, but this winter has gone by so quickly! (Maybe this is the first time I’ve ever said that. I have the 70 degree February day to thank.)
Life has been busy. I’ve spent a lot of time at work, the gym, and with my family and friends. This is what 2017 has been like so far:
Turns out early morning workouts are theeeeee best, especially on Mondays and when you want to take mirror gym selfies. I normally work out after work but it’s super refreshing to avoid the after work rush sometimes.
I joined an eight-week fitness challenge that will end next week. I. LOVED. IT! I only lost a few pounds, but my goal was to learn new ways to exercise and eat healthy and both of those goals were accomplished so I’m happy about it. I’ve had to track all my food (#OverIt), so I’m excited for that to be over soon. I hope to share more about the program’s diet.
Right before this picture we went to a craft fair and ate tacos. That, my friends, is the good life.
My friend Victoria visited me in January, and I visited her in February! She’s one of my best friends from college, and I’ve only seen her a total of four times after college.
I got to visit with my friend Allison one more time before her baby comes! I’m so thankful for the ease of conversation, hilarious memories and for the way she listens and cares so well.
This squad was established in the ’90s. #SJpartyof4
I am humbled and blessed by many of my friends, old and new. I’m excited for more good times with the people I love.
I’m happy to announce that I’m here with our final health tips for 2016!
Before I share the tips, I have a confession to make; something I realized about myself this summer when I was packing my things to move to a new condo.
MY NAME IS SARAH AND I POSSESS HOARDER-LIKE TENDENCIES.
Notice I didn’t say “I AM A HOARDER.” I’m truly not a full-fledged hoarder. However, in some aspects of life I hang on to way too much stuff. (Example: I stopped buying groceries approximately 4 weeks before I moved, and I still had food to move.)
What does my hoarding have to do with the December Health Tips, you ask? Great question! I unintentionally hoarded a whole bunch of tips from the Popsugar article I’ve been referring to throughout the year. So, congratulations, readers! Thanks to my tip-hoarding, here are a whole bunch of health tips that you can work on yet this year and bring with you to the new year!
- Do squats while brushing your teeth. I am not in this habit, but it’s a decent challenge/idea.
- Make overnight oats so you have breakfast ready for you in the morning. Oatmeal has GOT to be one of the best breakfasts ever. Overnight oats are super delicious; another good option is baked oatmeal.
- Schedule an at-home workout. Heck, how about this: schedule ALL of your workouts. Each weekend I plan out the four times I will work out the following week. I find this to be key in fitness. On busy weeks, I have to plan ahead and go to the gym before work. When weeks are less busy, I space out my workouts so I’m not too sore by workout four.
- Sleep eight hours a night for a week. Challenge accepted. I love beauty sleep. 🙂
- Take healthy snacks to work. I back this tip 100%. Some snacks I recommend are: granola bars or protein bars (I’ve posted about my bar obsession here, but since then Luna and Cliff have released a few bars with lower sugar so check them out too!); Greek yogurt, an apple with peanut butter, popcorn, or healthy smoothies.
- Carry a reusable water bottle with you. I do this and I highly recommend it for all! Side note, I need to WASH my reusable water bottle on a much more regular basis. (2017 New Year’s Resolution?)
- When you are cold, don’t turn up the heat. Instead, do 10 push-ups. I have never thought to do this before but I am going to accept this as a challenge.
Whenever possible, I get in my first workout on Sunday. That way, I only have to find time for three more workouts for the rest of the week!
I hope some of these tips have inspired you. I know that I will be challenged this month and in 2017 with these!
May your days be merry and bright, and healthy and happy!
I am focusing on just one health tip this month because it’s a good one! Again, this month’s tip is from the Popsugar Health Resolutions article I’ve been going through for the year. The tip is to pack lunch at least twice a week. I have so many things to say about this marvelous idea!
- You will save money and calories by packing lunch rather than ordering it.
- The blessing/curse of my office is that we don’t really have restaurants nearby so I’m sort of forced to bring a lunch to work most days.
- Meal prep is one of the biggest keys to a very healthy lifestyle.
- There are so many great lunches that you can pack!
Here are some lunches I will “meal prep” for myself:
- Grilled chicken or tilapia with rice and asparagus
- Grilled turkey burger with broccoli
- A sweet potato with ground turkey and veggies
- Turkey chili or chicken chili
- A variation of crockpot quinoa tacos – instead of serving with tortillas, I add meat and eat it plain
What healthy lunches do you pack? I’d love to read comments with new lunch ideas!
Can you believe that we have made it to the month of September? I recently had a conversation with my roommate about how September might actually be the best month (at least, it’s the best if you live in Wisconsin and when you’re not a student).
Since I’m no longer a student, I figured I should wear a cute “First Day of September” outfit since I don’t qualify for a “First Day of School” outfit. I wore cowboy boots which was cute and festive but also a little hot… OK really hot… by midday.
Now that we have made it half way through September, I’m continuing to have fun mixing the warmer and cooler clothing articles. Today I got a compliment on my outfit which included jeans, a shorter-sleeved sweater and sandals. Only in Wisconsin.
On another note, let’s keep it healthy this month! Popsugar‘s Easy Health Resolutions has more great tips for us:
- Ditch Soda [for a day, or a week].
Soda is like a bad boyfriend. You know he’s not good for you, you know you should ditch him, your life is better without him. You don’t need that added sugar in your life! You can try to convince yourself otherwise, but you’re best without him. And by him I guess I mean soda…I hope we can still be friends after that awful analogy!
- Give someone you don’t know a compliment.
I don’t want this to be be a hater post, so let’s focus on a positive habit. I’m actually not sure why it’s healthy to give someone you don’t know a compliment. I do know that the world needs more kindness, more nice people, more grace. So why not give someone yo don’t know a compliment?!I double dog dare you to hand out a compliment, to a stranger, today.
- Try green tea.
Tea has a really good reputation for being so very healthy. (And we’re keeping with the positive vibes on this tip!) WebMD has offered some health benefits of green tea, listed below:
Since we are half way through the month, there’s no time like the present to try out these tips!
I’m back with the Popsugar Easy Health Resolutions but everything I have to say today will fall under a single topic. Watch how my brain works here:
- Tip encourages readers to try veganism for a day
- I associate Carrie Underwood with vegans
- Carrie Underwood is #goals when it comes to nutrition, health and fitness
Need I say more? Carrie Underwood is a healthy eater, she works out, and she looks amazing! Oh, and she has a fitness line too.
I recently learned that Carrie Underwood actually stopped being a vegan while she was pregnant, and I’m not sure if she has returned to veganism.
As far as exercising, I learned that Carrie is a fan of Tabata which is apparently a form of HIIT.
Here’s a picture from Carrie’s own Instagram account. I think this picture is perfect because it shows off (1) how fit she is and (2) a swimsuit from her own brand.
I have been busy doing very fun things lately (think: weddings and related fun activities/parties/celebrations). I’m still doing my best to prioritize my health. Again this month, I have more health tips from the Popsugar Easy Health Resolutions.
Both tips are food-focused this month. Everybody wants to believe that working out a lot can make you healthy. I believe that nutrition is actually the most important key to health. Here are two nutritional tips that are totally realistic:
Eat brown rice instead of white rice. Restaurant food can be inevitable during busy times. I have to say that Qdoba and Chipotle can be healthy if you are thoughtful and smart when ordering. I order a salad (in a bowl, without the taco shell and without dressing) with chicken, black beans, brown rice, salsa, and vegetables. I order guacamole, too, because I honestly cannot resist.
Eat a serving of fruit daily for a week. Be careful with fruit, though, because fruit can have lots of carbs and sugar. I recommend eating berries as the healthiest option. A frozen banana smoothie is a great option for a weekend pre-workout (note to self, post that recipe). I also love an apple with natural peanut butter as a morning snack. You’re always best off to eat carbs in the morning, so shoot for eating fruit early on in the day.
I’m resurfacing this Instagram picture (and hashtag) from last year since this post was about food, and because #cutefruit.